I am at my most productive when I’m procrastinating. That might not sound like it makes sense, but it’s true. Sure, I’m not productive with the task I’m actually supposed to be doing, but you can bet I’ll conquer every other chore and activity imaginable. In fact, one of my favorite ways to procrastinate is by hopping into the kitchen and concocting something delicious for you. See? It all works out in your favor.
The other night, when I was supposed to be writing a paper, I felt that irresistible itch to make something sweet and rich, something worthy of tossing aside everything I was doing.The most decadent thing I could image while I sat bundled up in my fluffy zebra print bathrobe on a chilly fall night was good old hot chocolate.
I was fully okay with sticking to classic version until I spotted an opened package of vanilla cake mix in my cabinet, and everything went out the window. If that cake mix had a face, it would’ve peered up at me with big, glistening, pleading eyes and said, “What is going to become of me, a partially used box of cake mix? You can never bake me into a cake now. Don’t leave me here forever!” I couldn’t turn away then. Who am I to deny perfectly good cake mix the opportunity to become something bigger than itself?
So I conceded to using that cake mix, and I whipped up some Cake Batter White Hot Chocolate. Life is too short to keep it plain and simple all the time. Some days, you’ve got to go all-out, and churn out a piping hot mugful of the most decadent and indulgent beverage you can dream of, and this is it.
The classic sweet and sinful cake batter flavor is full force here, but it doesn’t overpower that rich, satiny white chocolate. After all, this is first and foremost hot chocolate. The cake batter and white chocolate play off one another well with their complementary sweetness, while the chocolate tastes like the icing on top of the cake. It’s smooth and rich, and you can whip it up in minutes. Do late-night fall treats get any better than that?
And of course, I can justify all the procrastination involved in making this drink by saying it was fuel to warm me up and recharge me for writing that paper.
Except I never wound up writing the paper that night…
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Sprinkles are a must-have. They had that pop of color so you know this ain’t your ordinary white hot chocolate.
- Wondering what homemade White Hot Chocolate tastes like? If you’ve ever had Dunkin Donuts’ white hot chocolate, imagine that, only better.
- You could make this with a chocolate cake mix and milk chocolate instead.
- This is pretty thick and rich, so the servings are more substantial than you think.
Funfetti Cake Batter White Hot Chocolate
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield – 2 servings
- 1 cup milk (preferably whole milk, but almond milk works fine too)
- ¼ cup dry vanilla cake mix, any brand
- 4-oz. white chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Bring milk to simmering in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in cake mix until completely dissolved. Add the chocolate and stir continuously until melted. Make sure you keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Turn off heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer to two mugs and top with sprinkles. Enjoy.