I’m sorry I do these things to you. I swear, it’s love that motivates me. It might be tortuous for you to drool over these photos of my Loaded Cheese Fries Grilled Cheese. You might wonder why you had to be introduced to something you never knew you needed, therefore ending your blissful ignorance.
But you really do need this sandwich in your life. It takes what are perhaps two of the greatest cheese-related foods in the universe and fuses them together for the ultimate cheese-filled experience. If you know me, then you know that cheese fries are my “must have” food. The fact that I can put heaven’s greatest gift into a grilled cheese just proves how beautiful this world we live in is.
Experiencing crispy french fries, three kinds of gooey cheese, fresh scallions, and crispy bacon between two slices of golden bread is just beautiful. I think I teared up a bit. Okay, so there was no bacon in MY sandwich, but I enjoyed that cheesy, french fry-stuffed bliss all the same.
This sandwich screams “football game food,” so definitely bookmark this recipe for game day. Also stow it in your arsenal for when you just need some killer comfort food. This sandwich may not be the most nutritious thing you’ll eat all day, but it will make your tummy and your soul very happy. Treat yourself. You deserve it.
You DESERVE cheese fries in a grilled cheese.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- You can switch out cheeses as you prefer. I picked these because they’re classics for going atop cheese fries, and they melt well.
- Fresh scallions are a simple thing, but they’re a must. That bite of fresh flavor cuts the richness of the sandwich. Plus, you’ll always find scallions on a good plate of cheese fries.
- If you really want to, grab french fries from your favorite fast food joint to go in this sammy.
- I use an oven-baking method because I find it’s the easiest, least messy, and effective. If you try to make these stovetop, good luck flipping them.
Loaded Cheese Fries Grilled Cheese
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield – 3 large sandwiches
- 1/3 bag of Ore-Ida Crunchies! French Fries, or another frozen fry
- 6 1/2-inch slices crusty, good-quality bread like Neo Tuscan
- 6 tbsp. softened butter or butter spread
- 9 slices cooked bacon, optional
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp. fresh chopped scallions
- 6 slices American cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay french fries out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Feel free to make extra to munch on.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bring a large skillet to medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay bread buttered side-down on skillet and cook just until golden brown on that side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Lay down two slices of pepper jack on the unbuttered side of a slice of bread and sprinkle on as much cheddar as you’d like (be generous!). Lay down as many fries as you can fit in a single layer then top with bacon, scallions, and finish with the American cheese. Top with another slice of bread, buttered side up. So that’s bread, pepper jack, cheddar, fries, bacon, scallions, American, bread.
- Once all sandwiches are assembled, bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted throughout. Slice in half and enjoy.