I have to apologize to you guys because I neglected a very important meal of the day: breakfast. I’ve posted over 500 amazing recipes on here since starting Smart Cookie almost 2 years ago, but a very small portion of them are breakfast-related. I didn’t plan for that, nor were there any anti-breakfast biases involved; I just don’t cook breakfast as often as I do other meals.
It’s so easy to give breakfast the cold shoulder. You just rolled out of the bed, and you’re usually in a rush to get going with the day, so why would you want to soak up valuable time preparing an elaborate meal in the early hours? Most of the time, we save our energy and tricks for a fancy dinner or dessert instead. But it’s important to give your tummy some love at every meal, and it’s not as hard to craft a magnificent meal in the a.m. as you think. We’ve got no excuse to neglect breakfast any longer.
I’m giving the most important meal of the day some love with my Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups. These super-stuffed sweet spirals are irresistible with their golden, caramelized exterior, warm cinnamon flavor, and creamy strawberry-mascarpone filling. Plus, their whimsical rolled up shape gives plain French toast an upgrade that makes it fun to eat. Sitting down to a plate of these is like going to your favorite fancy breakfast joint, maybe even better, and you can keep your PJs on!
Every bite is just blissful, like a forkful of the bright sunrise seasoned with morning dew. Trust me, if you could translate those beautiful sensations into flavors, you’d get these Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups. They’re oozing with sweet, rich filling and boasting the French toast flavors you love. Kids and adults alike will love these little rolls, and you will too because they’re wonderfully simple to make. You can have this fancy-shmancy breakfast in under 30 minutes. Now that’s a beautiful way to start the day.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Use whatever kind of bread you like: whole wheat, whole grain, white, cinnamon-raisin, etc.
- You can also feel free to swap out the jam I used for whatever kind you like, whether it be raspberry, blueberry, or even Nutella.
- I don’t recommend replacing mascarpone with cream cheese. The mascarpone has a smoother texture, and lends a less tangy flavor. It really upgrades this French toast.
- You can serve these with syrup if you like, but I find them plenty sweet with the filling and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- If you really want to get fancy, add some whipped cream.
- Try this with a PB & J filling!
Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 10 slices white bread
- 12-oz. jar strawberry jam
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside. You will use this to keep finished rolls warm in the oven while you cook the others.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Melt 1 tbsp. butter.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a medium casserole dish.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread slices out as thin as you can. Spread each slice with a layer of mascarpone (about 1 tbsp.) and then the jam (about another 1 tbsp.). Tightly roll up the slice like a burrito. Keeping the roll together, dunk in the egg mixture so that it is entirely coated.
Place 3-4 rolls on the heated skillet at a time, seam side-down. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon then cook until golden brow. Flip, sprinkle with more cinnamon, and cook the other side until golden brown as well. You may also like to brown it on the sides as well so it’s golden all over (that’s what I did). Carefully transfer to the prepared baking sheet to keep finished rolls warm while you cook the others. After a batch or two, add the remaining butter to the pan and let melt to keep rolls from sticking as you go along. Serve immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar.