This summer, zucchini and I have really strengthened our relationship. We started getting acquainted some time last year. Initially, I made an ignorant assumption that I wouldn’t like zucchini. Then, after some experimentation with it in different recipes, my mind slowly began to change. I gave zucchini a chance, and it worked its way into my heart. This past summer in particular has been a period of growth for us. And now, I think I’m in love.
Since I’ve discovered this new infatuation, I’ve been looking for different ways to enjoy zucchini. I love to grill it, roast it, fry it, serve it with pasta, stick it on pizza, and put it in frittatas. My latest endeavor involved stuffing zucchini with all kinds of good stuff. I pizzafied that fresh green squash, and man, was it tasty. But guess what? It’s healthy too!
These Pizza Zucchini Boats have only strengthened my bond with zucchini. They are so hearty, filling, and delicious that my tummy is 100% satisfied. Normally, to get that kind of complete fullness, I have to eat something indulgent and full of calories. But that’s not the case here. These zucchini boats are good-looking, good-tasting, and good for me. That’s a triple threat.
You get a whole tender zucchini to yourself stuffed with chunks of meaty veggie burger, zesty marinara sauce, and melty mozzarella cheese. It’s a hearty meal with all the flavors of everyone’s favorite food: cheesy pizza. I don’t know about you, but that makes me pretty happy. And the fact that I get it all for around 200 calories makes me even happier.
Zucchini, I’m so glad we found each other.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- This is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies. Kids love anything pizza-related, plus the boat shape is so fun.
- You could add other pizza topping favorites like mushrooms or peppers.
- These come together in minutes, so they’re a great weeknight meal or lunch.
- Easily cut this recipe to make a single serving if you’re just feeding yourself.
Pizza Zucchini Boats
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Makes 4 servings
- 4 large zucchinis, ends chopped off
- 1 1/3 cups light marinara sauce (like Ragu)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Morningstar Farms Garden Veggie Burgers
- salt, to taste
- 4 light mozzarella cheese sticks (like Sargento)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Slice the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Place on the baking sheet sliced side-up and blind bake for 5 minutes (you may have to use 2 baking sheets).
- Meanwhile, place frozen veggie burgers on a microwave-safe plate. Cook on high for 30 seconds. Flip then continue to cook for another 20 seconds. Remove from microwave and chop into chunks.
- Remove zucchinis from oven but leave oven on. Let the zucchinis cool for a few minutes then use a spoon to scoop out the innards (like you would do to a potato to make twice baked potatoes). Spoon the zucchini innards into a large mixing bowl. Add the marinara, garlic, veggie burger chunks, and salt. Stir to combine. Distribute stuffing between zucchini boats.
- Bake boats for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, pull the cheese sticks into strings. Chop into small pieces (the size of shredded cheese). After zucchinis have baked for 15 minutes, sprinkle the cheese over the zucchinis and return to oven until cheese is melted, boats are starting to brown, and stuffing is hot and bubbly (about 10-15 minutes more).
- Serve immediately. Everybody gets 2 boats (1 zucchini).