It’s kind of funny looking, isn’t it? This Butternut Squash & Kale Pita Pizza looks more like a work of art than it does food. You have to admit though, it does appear quite intriguing. The harvest orange of the squash and the fresh green of the kale compliment one another beautifully. But those gorgeous colors aren’t all this “pizza” has to offer; it’s delicious too. I know it seems a bit out of the ordinary, but once you take a bite, you’ll realize how beneficial it is to branch out every now and then.
I love the sweetness that oven-roasting induces, so the first thing I did when preparing this colorful meal was roast the squash and garlic up good. I added the kale during the last couple of minutes, which wilted it down and crisped it up slightly like kale chips. Then I pureed the squash and garlic with just a few drops of olive oil until smooth and creamy. Think mashed potatoes, but with squash. I had to stop myself from just eating the sweet roasted garlic and squash puree all on its own.
Once I got myself under control, I spread the puree onto a pita, topped it with light mozzarella cheese, and baked it until the pita was golden brown and the cheese was good and melted. The crowning touch was a handful of the crisp kale. Then I sliced it up and happily devoured the whole thing. But I had not an ounce of guilt since this is so darn good for me between the squash, the kale, and the whole-wheat pita.
Open up your mind to this pita pizza and experience the guilt-free bliss induced by the harmonious flavors and textures. Sweet, creamy squash with roasted garlic, crisp kale, and melted cheese all aboard a convenient handheld crust. How could you go wrong? Don’t hesitate another moment; make this pita pizza for yourself and be utterly amazed by the total tantalizing experience.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Don’t like squash? Sweet potatoes would work just as well.
- Double, triple, etc. the recipe as necessary to feed a family. This is a great weeknight meal.
- Parmesan cheese works equally well in place of the mozzarella.
Butternut Squash & Kale Pita Pizza
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash (the smaller you chop, the quicker it’ll roast)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- kosher salt
- 1 generous cup fresh kale, roughly chopped
- 1 whole wheat 60-calorie pita (like Joseph’s)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 light mozzarella cheese stick (like Sargento) OR 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil & spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the squash and garlic out in an even layer. Lightly spray the squash with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Roast for 10 minutes then stir and add the kale. Roast for another 5-10 minutes, or until kale is wilted and squash is tender. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, pull the cheese into strings. Chop until it resembles the size of shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Let veggies cool for 5 minutes and separate kale from the squash and garlic. Add the squash and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until pureed and smooth. Stream in the olive oil while pureeing, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches desired smoothness.
- Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the pita on the tray and spread the butternut squash puree on top in an even layer. Sprinkle with cheese and red pepper flakes then bake for 10 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Top with kale and enjoy.