Eggs are awesome. They’ve got loads of protein, they’re filling, and they’re good for you. Egg Beaters are even better because they’ve got more health benefits than a real egg, but even less calories. As a health-conscious vegetarian, I eat Egg Beaters like they’re going out of style. However, you can imagine that I often get sick of them. Sometimes, I need something different than just scrambling them with salt and pepper.
Thus, the Cheesy Breakfast Pizza was born. It’s ridiculously tasty, has around 27g of protein, it’s COVERED in cheese, and you get the whole personal-sized pizza for about 205 calories! No, that last part was not a joke. I’m serious. I don’t joke about caloric-matters, my friends. You see, I love food and consuming it, but I tend to favor things that are bad for me (french fries, pizza, indulgent desserts, etc.). Therefore, I have to balance with tons of healthy, low-cal things in between. I’m always looking for meals that are low-cal AND delicious. This pizza is just that.
Yes, it’s called a breakfast pizza (for obvious reasons), but I actually like to eat this for dinner. I’m a big fan of breakfast for dinner. As far as I’m concerned, breakfast is acceptable at all hours of the day. It’s a really filling, satisfying meal (I actually didn’t finish the last slice, that never happens!) and it IS a pizza, so you can easily eat it at dinner. Or have it at breakfast. Basically, you can eat this any time of the day; no one will judge you. And if they do, it’s just because they’re jealous.
You do not have to be a skilled cookpert(cooking expert) to make this. It’s easy peasy (easy cheesy?). So, if you’re ready to indulge in a tasty pizza with cheesified-eggs, fresh veggies, and more cheese, without feeling an ounce of guilt, then get cooking ASAP!
A few tips before you get cooking:
- You can make this with regular eggs, but I really recommend Egg Beaters. A half-cup serving has twice the protein of one egg and less calories as well. Plus, I can’t tell the difference taste-wise. Give them a try if you haven’t before. You’ll love them!
- Sometimes (like this particular time), I can’t find the Green Giant Broccoli & Cheese Just For Ones, so I buy the regular-sized ones and measure out a half-cup serving of that instead. You should be able to find the Just For Ones in your grocery store, though. I can always find them at Walmart.
- Don’t just make one for you; make one for everybody in your family too! They’re an easy, healthy, DELICIOUS meal you can throw together that everyone will enjoy. No picky, anti-health foodies will complain about it being healthy because no one will know!
- Don’t be like me and use dried chives. I swear, I only did it because I had to! I didn’t have any fresh ones on hand. Get yourself some fresh chives. YOU DESERVE IT. The dried ones just taste like…well they don’t taste like anything at all, actually. Do as I say, not as I do.
Cheesy Breakfast Pizza
Recipe by Colleen Bierstine
- 1 medium-sized tortilla for about 80 calories (like the Low-Carb, High Fiber ones by La Tortilla Factory)
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters or egg substitute
- 1 tsp. chives, chopped
- 1 tray of Green Giant Broccoli & Cheese Sauce Just for Ones (or 1/2 cup of regular-sized Broccoli & Cheese Sauce)
- 2 tbsp. fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1/4 of a red pepper, chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake the tortilla in the oven for 2 1/2 minutes on each side, 5 minutes total.
- Remove from the oven, but keep the oven on, turning it up to Broil.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli & cheese according to package directions. Set aside.
- Bring a medium skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to medium-low heat. Pour the eggs into the skillet, letting it form to the circular shape of the skillet, making an “omelet.” Cook until each side is firm and egg is cooked through.
- Using a spatula (particularly a Super Spatula), transfer the omelet to the tortilla. Spread the broccoli & cheese on top of the omelet. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, chives, red pepper, and salt.
- Return to oven and cook under broiler for 2 minutes or until crust is slightly browned around the edges & cheese is melted.
- Slice and enjoy!
205 calories. 27 grams of protein. When such a delicious pizza is so good for you and so easy to make, you start to wonder if you’re dreaming. Well pinch yourself, ’cause you’re not! That beautiful breakfast pizza you see above is as real as the day is long. Slice it up and enjoy one of life’s small wonders.