Soup in spring isn’t as strange as it sounds. I’m a big believe that it’s silly to limit a food to a season merely because of its temperature. Ice cream ain’t just for the summer, and soup ain’t just for winter, and I’ve got just the thing to prove that to you, my Spring Veggie Medley Soup.
This soup is simple but invigorating. Every spoonful that’s loaded with fresh spring veggies says, “Spring is here!” It’s an incredibly flavorful experience, but so warm and comforting. You’ll feel like you’re bathing in spring sunshine every time you inhale its intoxicating aroma or sip some of that savory broth.
I brought a cornucopia of delightful spring veggies to the stage here: tender potatoes, fresh asparagus, sweet snap peas, and snappy matchstick carrots, all of which are enhanced by the flavors from fresh garlic and leeks. Man, do I love me some leeks in the spring.
The perfect way to finish off this light spring soup is with a sprinkling of a four-cheese blend: asiago, Fontina, parmesan, and romano (as described in the latest edition of Smart Cookie Shopping). It’s just enough indulgence to take this thing home, but not so much that it takes away from the soup’s refreshing spring quality. That’s what I love most about this soup; it’s healthy, not too heavy, low-fat, and low-calorie, but it sticks to your ribs and fills you up good.
Why don’t you whip some up for dinner tonight and celebrate spring with me?
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
1. If you don’t like any of the veggies I chose, feel free to sub in ones you do. Cauliflower, peas, green beans, corn, and broccoli are all great spring produce.
2. Can’t find the cheese blend I used? Straight parmesan or asiago is fine.
3. If you want some protein in here, try some cannellini beans.
4. Since this is so easy, it’s a great weeknight meal. Make it even better with some crusty bread on the side.
Spring Veggie Medley Soup
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield – 4 servings
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 cup water
• 1 leek, sliced and washed
• 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• 1 lb. Baby Yukon gold potatoes
• 1 cup fresh chopped asparagus (about 1 bunch)
• 1 cup snap peas
• 1 ¼ cup matchstick carrots
• ½ tsp. kosher salt
• ¼ tsp. black pepper
• ½ cup 4-cheese blend (asiago, fontina, parmesan, & romano)
1. Pour the chicken stock, veggie stock, and water in a large pot over medium heat. Let it get nice and warm for about 10 minutes then add the garlic and leek. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium casserole dish and cover with water. Place a lid on top and cook in microwave on high for 3 5-minute intervals, stirring in between, for a total of 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
3. Add the asparagus, peas, and carrots to the broth and Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, or until everything is tender. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy.