This is my first month participating in Mystery Dishes where, every month, a blogger complies a hand-picked “box” of ingredients that the other bloggers in the group must choose three ingredients from to cook with.
Here’s what we had to work with this month:
- Pork Belly
- Dark Chocolate
- Red Potatoes
- Pimento Cheese
- French Bread
- Rice Krispies
I selected dark chocolate, Rice Krispies, and ginger to create my Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Rice Krispies Treats.
Check out what the other talented bloggers dreamed up:
- Turtle Krispies by I Dig Pinterest
- Dark Chocolate Greek Yogurt Cookies by The Pajama Chef
- Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola Bars by I Want Crazy
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut English Toffee by Flavor the Moments
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Buttercrunch by Inspiration Kitchen
- Skinny Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Hazelnut
Fudge by Joyful Healthy Eats
- Cranberry Hazelnut Crepe Cake by Blahnik Baker
- Mini Eggnog Cheesecakes with Hazelnut Cookie Crust by The Well Floured Kitchen
- Glazed Chocolate Pound Cake with Toasted Hazelnuts from Culinary Couture
- Salted Hazelnut Scotcheroos from Yummy Healthy Easy
- Gluten Free Chocolate Bourbon Hazelnut Cake from Living Better Together
This not only marks my first ever Mystery Dish, but it’s also my first Christmas recipe of the season! I’m not an all-out gingerbread fanatic, but I do enjoy a gingerbread-flavored treat from time to time. These Rice Krispie treats are much easier to make than a batch of actual gingerbread though.
It’s almost freaky how much these taste like gingerbread. And if you use a gingerbread man cookie cutter, you’re really going to mess with your head. Your taste buds say “gingerbread,” but your head says “rice krispie treat.”
The rich chocolate drizzle is the perfect finishing touch, adding that kiss of sweet darkness. It plays with the ginger in an unexpectedly harmonious way. Every bite is chewy and perfectly spiced, sending you straight into a state of holiday spirit.
Whip up this simple and quick holiday treat today, and check out the rest of this month’s Mystery Dish round-up for more inspiration.
Next month, it’s my turn to make the list!
Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 10-oz. bag large marshmallows
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in molasses. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and Rice Krispies until evenly combined. Immediately transfer to prepared pan. Press into an even layer and let cool completely.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, cook chocolate chips for 30-second intervals, stirring well in between until melted.
- Cut into squares or use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out pieces. Drizzle with melted chocolate.