We haven’t been too healthy around Smart Cookie lately, so I figured it was time to bring you a light summer snack. Granted it looks like anything but summer outside my window now, but that doesn’t mean we can’t pretend.
If you want to talk about simple, let’s talk about these Mini Mediterranean Quinoa & Chickpea Bites. I used 5 basic ingredients to make golden brown tender nuggets of nutritious flavorful goodness, and I did it all in about 30 minutes.
When I bought a package of Archer Farms Mediterranean Quinoa Blend to try for the last edition of Smart Cookie Shopping, I knew I’d have to make something fun with it. But I didn’t want to destroy the natural healthiness presented by the ingredients here: quinoa, chickpeas, and spinach. That’s why I made it into satisfying little snack bites that are hearty, flavorful, and good for you too.
You can get fancy and dip these in marinara sauce if you like. My recipe yields a good sized serving for one or two people, but easily multiply it to make a crazy delicious appetizer for a crowd that no one will know is healthy too. So don’t be that friend saying “I’m going to make something low-calorie!” Just make something amazing that happens to have nutrition as an added bonus.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- These would also be great dipped in pesto.
- Make a double batch of these so you can keep some in the fridge or freezer for when a snack craving hits.
- Feta cheese would be a delicious addition.
- Make sure you let the quinoa mix cool down slightly before adding the egg so the heat doesn’t scramble the egg.
Mini Mediterranean Quinoa & Chickpea Bites
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield – 10 bites
- 1 bag Archer Farms Mediterranean Quinoa Blend (available in the frozen section of Target)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa blend according to package directions. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients until well-combined. Drop by tablespoons into muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for two minutes before carefully loosening and removing. Enjoy. Serve with marinara sauce, if you like.