I took the fluffernutter sandwich for granted as a kid. It seemed so ho-hum back then, just another sandwich for another lunch. Nowadays though, a fluffernutter would be such a treat; I never eat white bread, and I certainly don’t stuff my sandwiches with rich peanut butter and sugary Fluff. But that’s not to say I don’t want to.
The Fluff-peanut butter combo is beloved by many, whether you’re 6 years old or 60 years old. For many, it tastes like childhood. Plus, there’s no denying that the fluffernutter has mastered the ultimate balance of salty-sweet perfection. The flavors blend together so harmoniously, like the Food God intended for them to be together all along.
I wanted to take the match-made-in-culinary-heaven and turn it into a slightly healthier snack. So, I gave my classic No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls a fluffernutter twist.
These gooey, sweet and salty bundles of joy are what would happen if you could take everything delicious about your childhood and roll it into a ball. That classic flavor duo you love so much is present and prominent, but you aren’t overwhelmed by Fluff; it’s just the right amount of light and sweet marshmallow swirls. Plus, oats make this hearty, and mini marshmallows add a fun and chewy twist, giving you double marshmallow impact.
These little balls are no-bake, and you can make them in a jiffy (no pun intended). Even if you’re more likely to fly to the moon than cook, I promise you can handle making these. And if you loved fluffernutters as a kid, or still do now, then these are a definite must-make.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- You can use whatever kind of peanut butter you like.
- If you want these to be extra hearty and protein packed, grind us some peanuts to mix in.
- The honey is optional, but adds a nice touch.
- You might also consider a nice pinch of salt to balance things out.
- Kids will love these. They make a great after-school snack.
- Get my original No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls recipe here, or try my Christmasy Snow Covered Peanut Butter M&M Balls for the holidays.
Fluffernutter Oatmeal Balls
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats, plus more for rolling
- 1 ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 jar marshmallow Fluff
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients except for the Fluff until well-combined. Fold in the Fluff just until evenly distributed out. You should still see ribbons of it, but there shouldn’t be any giant chunks. Cover bowl and place in fridge to chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Roll mixture into generous tablespoon-sized balls then roll in the oats. The oat coating keeps them from being quite as sticky to hold while eating. Place in an air-tight container lined with waxed paper and store in the fridge.