I’m an impulse shopper, but only in the grocery store. Sometimes, I see a new food product and lose my marbles over the excitement, then snatch it up before I have time to think about what I’m going to do with it. I get it home and proceed to stare at it for months, wishing I had thought before I bought.
I had that problem with two bags of Jet Puffed Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows I bought. I was in Target when I spotted them, which means I was already vulnerable to good buys and thinking irrationally, and I couldn’t resist scooping up a duo of bags. Of course, it didn’t take long after I got home for me to start wondering what the heck to do with them. Luckily, I had a box of Rice Krispies waiting in the pantry, and everybody knows marshmallows and Rice Krispies go together like peanut butter and jelly. So I whipped up a decadent twist on plain old Rice Krispie Treats: Frosted Brown Butter Cinnamon Roll Rice Krispie Treats.
I don’t typically turn cartwheels over Rice Krispie treats, but man, I’m doing back flips for these babies! The rich nutty brown butter and the sweet Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows make these like no other RK treat you’ve had before. Plus, a layer of smooth, creamy Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting makes these a decadent treat that can’t be beat.
Best of all, they’re the easiest dessert to whip up in the book. Even with browning the butter and making frosting, you can churn out a batch of these babies in under 30 minutes. They got rave reviews from my father’s workers, the lucky recipients of these decked out RK treats, and it’s easy to see why. With deep flavor from brown butter, a sweet cinnamon twist, and icing to-boot, this is one RK recipe you don’t want to miss.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- If you can’t find the Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows, use regular large marshmallows with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (instead of the 1/4 tsp. in the recipe) and 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract.
- Frosting is optional. You could also do a light vanilla glaze instead.
- Double the batch or cut in half as necessary.
- Browning butter is super simple. Use medium heat, whisk well, wait for it to start foaming, then look for the brown specks to form. Then you’re done!
Frosted Brown Butter Cinnamon Roll Rice Krispie Treats
By The Smart Cookie Cook
For the Rice Krispies
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1 8-oz. bag + 1/2 cup Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows (roughly 12 oz.)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
For the Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until butter turns golden brown & forms brown specks. It should taste nutty. Do not over cook.
- Immediately add the marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted. Turn off heat and stir in the cinnamon and Rice Krispies until well-combined. Pour into prepared pan and use your hands to flatten out in an even layer. If it’s too sticky, you can used wax paper to press it down or spray your hands with nonstick spray. Let cool.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat 1 cup of sugar into the butter until completely incorporated. Start at a low speed then increase as it starts to incorporate to avoid a powdered sugar dust storm. Continue mixing in one cup at a time, scraping down sides from time to time. Beat in heavy cream, vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon, and salt on high until light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting over Rice Krispies in an even layer. Cut into squares.