I had a mini meltdown today.
At approximately 6 p.m., I realized that is was approximately 6 p.m., and I had yet to accomplish half the things on my day’s to-do list. That overwhelming holy-cow-I’ll-never-get-everything-done feeling engulfed me, and I went to Mother Cookie in the kitchen and cried, “IT’S ALMOST SIX O’CLOCK, AND I’VE GOT NOTHING DONE.” She turned back to the sink and let me explode.
The only thing that really helps when I get like that (besides my non-judgmental mother) is food. In fact, I have a habit of snacking when I’m stressed. You know how babies have binkies for when they get upset? That’s like me and food.
So naturally, the Smart Cookie kitchen is well-stocked with stress-relieving snacks like these Chocolate-Coconut Dulce de Leche Cheerio Treats. Don’t they sound so fancy? Well, don’t be fooled. They’re only a step above your simple ol’ Rice Krispie treat. They took me just a few minutes to make, which means I got to calm down with a tasty snack before I completely imploded.
Phew. That was a close one.
These guys are chewy, chocolatey, and tasty, making them the perfect snack for when you need a pick-me-up. Made with sweet and crunchy Dulce de Leche Cheerios instead of your average Rice Krispies, they’re like a more indulgent and refined version of the Rice Krispie Treat. It’s caramely, chocolatey, and coconutty, which are all good things in my book. I can snack happy.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- If you don’t like coconut, then just leave it out.
- White chocolate chips would be delicious as well.
- Switch out the Dulce de Leche Cheerios for Peanut Butter Cheerios instead.
- Mini marshmallows don’t work as well as the big ones. Don’t ask me why. I’ve tried both, and the bigger ones yield a chewier, more marshmellowy treat.
Chocolate-Coconut Dulce de Leche Cheerio Treats
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 10-oz. package of big marshmallows
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 cups Dulce de Leche Cheerios
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut*
*To toast coconut, spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Turn off heat. Stir in salt and Cheerios until well-combined. Add the chocolate chips and coconut and stir until evenly distributed. Pour into a greased 8×8 (for thicker treats) or 9×13 (for thinner treats) and press down into an even layer with your hands or wax paper. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy.