Raise your hand if you want to expend mass quantities of time and effort on a side dish after you’ve already slaved over the main course.
No? I didn’t think so.
Even if you don’t make a complicated or time-consuming entree, who says to themselves, “Gee, I think I want to drive myself nuts making an elaborate side dish tonight”?
Everyone’s ideal meal is both remarkably delicious and relatively simple in preparation. The problem with simplicity is that it sometimes equates to just average food. But when you do discover a recipe that is both easy and amazing, it is perhaps one of the greatest feelings in the world, as if you have somehow defied the laws of nature and entered a parallel universe of perfection.
I’ve never been one to settle for sub-par food just for the sake of simplicity, so if I’m going for an easy recipe, then you can be damn sure it’s going to be delicious too. Take this Spicy Corn and Rice Skillet for example. It’s composed of five basic ingredients that you’ve probably got waiting in you kitchen this instant, and it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. But get this: it’s also so incredibly yummy that you’ll eat half of it straight from the skillet before it ever reaches your plate. Don’t try to fight it; just grab a fork and go for it.
If your taste buds are looking to party, then this recipe is their invitation. Sweet corn, spicy Ro-Tel, robust onion, hearty brown rice, and gooey melted cheese come together to create a dynamic whole that’s greater than the sum of its parts. Every forkful boasts fiesta-worthy flavors that will make your hungry tummy cry, “Ole!” Have this super side on the table in no time, but don’t be surprised when it disappears even faster than you made it.
Plus, you can turn this simple side into a super quick and filling meal by simply adding ground beef (if you’re a meat eater) or black beans (if you’re a vegetarian). So, this recipe is a double threat to have in your recipe arsenal. That’s simplicity at its most delicious and efficient!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- As I mentioned above, add ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, or beans to turn this side dish into a full meal.
- If you don’t want to use a Mexican cheese blend, try sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, or pepper jack.
- Add jalapenos for some serious spice.
- Black olive would also be great in here.
- This is actually a light and healthy side dish, so go ahead and feel good about what you’re eating.
- Top with sour cream if you like.
Spicy Corn & Rice Skillet
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield – 4 servings
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the corn and cook until tender. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes, until tender and sweet. Add the rice, corn, Ro-Tel, cumin, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Let cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over top in an even layer. Turn off the heat but leave over the burner and immediately put a lid on top to melt the cheese. When cheese is melted, remove lid and serve immediately.