As a vegetarian, I eat a lot of eggs, more than I care to, really. They’re a go-to meal for me since they’re super rich in protein but contrastingly low in calories. It’s a win-win. However, it’s hard to look at eggs positively after you eat them the same way time and time again. I get really bored, really fast.
Just when I was praying for a way to shake up the same old scramble, I stumbled upon this Big Green Omelet recipe on Hungry Girl. I liked the concept, but some of the ingredients didn’t appeal to me (mushrooms, Laughing Cow cheese). So I switched out some stuff and Smart Cookiefied it to create the Mean Green Stuffed Omelet Machine.
This omelet is a food super hero, packed with protein and vitamins to make it mighty nutritious. Everybody needs a hero in their diet to make them strong…and full. The Mean Green Stuffed Omelet is just the meal for the job.
It’s every bit as hearty as it sounds: A fluffy omelet stuffed with 2 kinds of cheese (creamy ricotta & salty parmesan), fresh spinach, tender green beans, tangy shallots, and good old garlic. The filling alone is so flavor, cheesy, and packed with good stuff that I barely need the egg to go with. But the two in combination make for one seriously filling and substantial meal.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean eating ho-hum. Don’t settle for boring or unsatisfying; Enjoy this hearty, super-stuffed omelet for under 200 calories.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Really any green veggie will do in the stuffing, but I love refreshing green bean twist.
- Grated parmesan is fine in the filling.
- I use Egg Beaters because they’re convenient and good for you.
- There are two ways to cook this depending on if you can multitask. Make the filling and then the egg, or make them both at once.
Mean Green Stuffed Omelet Machine
Inspired by Hungry Girl
- 3/4 cup Egg Beaters
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. vegetable stock
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 a large shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp. fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- In a medium skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, cook the garlic, onions, and green beans in the vegetable stock over medium heat until green beans start to soften. Add the spinach and continue to cook until green beans are completely tender to your liking and spinach is wilted. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Remove from eat and stir in ricotta and parmesan. Cover and set aside.
- Cook the egg beaters in a small skillet over low heat until done to your liking. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the filling on top of the omelet then fold in half and serve. *If you’re good at multitasking, cook the egg and the filling at the same time.