I like Rice Krispie Treats, but I don’t love them. Cereal treats in general don’t get me excited. They are blah, vanilla, ho-hum. I need more.
Well, I’m not the kind of person to wait around for what I want; I go after it. So I wasn’t going to sit and twiddle my thumbs until somebody decided to make a cereal treat worth eating. Instead, I created one myself. My Peanut Butter-Chocolate-Butterscotch Kix Treats are like the cooler cousin of the Rice Krispie Treat. Everybody wants a piece of these guys.
I guarantee one bite of these peanut buttery, crispy-crunchy, sweet & salty treats will make you say: “Rice Krispie who?” Instead of those tiny, puny Rice Krispies, I’ve employed one of my favorite cereals: good ol’, big & crunchy Kix. These guys are substantial, with a nice, hearty crunch in every bite. Plus, they were made to be paired with peanut butter. And chocolate. And butterscotch.
What a beautiful trio of flavors that is.
You are going to love the myriad of textures and tastes. We’ve got gooey, chewy, crispy, crunchy, sweet, salty, creamy, and more! This multidimensional snack is what Rice Krispie treats wish they could be. They’re tasty and fun; no ho-hum here! Plus, the fact that they’re no-bake makes them ideal during this face-melting summer we’re experiencing. Give yourself a break from the oven. You can make yourself a batch of Kix Treats in mere minutes.
Heck, I didn’t even wait for them to cool before diving in!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- If you don’t like Kix, you could stick to Rice Krispies.
- The mix-ins are pretty flexible. Use dark chocolate, white chocolate, etc.
- These are great to make with your kids.
Peanut Butter-Chocolate-Butterscotch Kix Treats
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 10-oz. bag large marshmallows
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 cups Kix cereal
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Spray an 8×8-inch pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, allowing excess parchment paper to hang over the sides so you can use it like a hammock later to remove the Kix treats.
- In a large nonstick pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the marshmallows and continue stirring constantly until completely melted. Stir in the peanut butter until well combined. Remove from heat and immediately stir in Kix until evenly-distributed. Add the chocolate & butterscotch chips and stir gently just until combined (if you over mix, the chips will melt completely).
- Pour the kix treats into the prepared pan and use waxed paper to press it into an even layer (or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray). Let cool until set, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Melt the butter in the microwave. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and peanut butter together until smooth and well-combined. Either with a fork or plastic squeeze bottle, drizzle the topping over the Kix treats and let set completely, about 30 minutes.
- When Kix treats are cool, cut into squares and enjoy. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.