Crunchy, Hand-held, Irresistible, Perfect Snacks.
What, you didn’t know that’s what CHIPS stands for?
Chips are the pinnacle of snack foods. I’ve yet to see a party where they don’t make an appearance. We love those addicting little devils and the array of flavors they come in. In fact, we can eat bagfuls of them at a time and still not be satisfied (am I the only one who does that?). Even though we’re well aware that once we pop in the first chip we won’t be able to cease, we go for it anyway. That’s love for you.
Out of all the chips out there, tortilla chips are the most versatile. You can dip them into just about anything! They are the vessel of all things dippable; the delivery guy for dips. However, on their own, tortilla chips are not all that great. I mean, how often do you grab a bag of Tostitos and start snacking on naked chips? Plain tortillas just aren’t tempting, right?
Well, that’s partially right, but that fact only applies to store-bought tortilla chips. You see, when you make tortilla chips at home they transform from blank and boring dip-transporters to tasty, crunchtastic stars of the show, good enough to stand on their own. When mine came out of the oven, I couldn’t keep my paws off of them. I didn’t need any dip; they were tasty enough!
That being said, combining them with dip made them a truly exceptional snack. They’re better tasting, less expensive, and more sturdy when standing up to the dip. It makes me wonder how I ever lived eating store-bought ones for so long. These Homemade Tortilla Chips are crazy crunchy and crispy, adorned with a deliciously golden brown color and sprinkle of salt. They’re darn right addicting, but in the bet possible way. And you only need 3 measly ingredients! In just a few minutes, you can have party-worthy chips you’ll be proud to serve at any get-together(or hoard all to yourself). Go snack happy!
Ready for the easiest snack ever & a major chip upgrade? Then check out the video below!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Any kind of soft tortilla will do: flour, corn, whole wheat, etc.
- Serve with salsa for a fancy yet easy appetizer.
- This recipe makes a ton of chips, but if you’re having a big get-together, double it.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 17-oz. pack tortillas (I recommend corn, but you can use flour or whole wheat tortillas too!)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice the tortillas into little triangles. You can make them bigger or smaller to suit your preference. Lay them out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a small bowl and brush onto the chips in a very light layer. You don’t have to use all the oil. Sprinkle the chips with salt and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!