If you’re trying to figure out how I used “healthy” and “double cheese white pizza” in the same title, don’t stress yourself out. You’re not crazy or dreaming, but this may be a crazy dream come true.
I have made quite a few guilt-free pizzas since Smart Cookie started out, and the reason for that is simple. I LOVE pizza, but I don’t love all its fat and calories. The ratio of when I get pizza cravings to when I can actually afford to expend that many calories is grossly uneven. So, to combat cravings on days when I’m “being good,” I concoct lower-calories versions of my favorite cheesy treat.
Thanks to this, I’ve got an arsenal of recipe weapons to break out when pizza cravings come my way. However, the other day, I had an unusual yearning for white pizza. Now, I love a good white pizza, but given the choice between white and regular, I’ll almost always choose regular. But this day was different. I wanted white pizza, and I wanted it fast.
So in order to satisfy the beast that is my stomach and avoid squashing a whole day of healthy eating, I whipped up this Double Cheese White Pizza. Let me tell you, it’s every bit as good as it looks, if not better. I knew once it was in the oven that I had something incredible because my house smelled exactly like a pizzeria. That smell for me = crack.
When at long last my personal pizza was done, I dove straight in. Complete glee consumed me once my teeth crunched through the crisp crust and the hot, melty cheese hit my tongue. If you had just given this pizza to me and said, “Here, eat this. It’s healthy,” I would’ve never believed you. Heck, I was the one who made it, and I still couldn’t believe it.
Between the gooey mozzarella and the creamy ricotta, I was in cheese heaven. The ricotta is laced with aromatic garlic and fresh herbs, making it so flavorful, and truly Italian-tasting. The fresh tomatoes are the perfect crowning jewel, providing a burst of sweet, juicy goodness in every bite.
With all that cheese, this pizza tastes so indulgent. In fact, it’s hard to believe the whole thing clocks in under 200 calories. I kid you not.
This pizza is low-cal, low-fat, high-protein, high-fiber, and high-delicious. That is what we like to call “multi-talented.”
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Don’t like tomatoes? Leave them off, or try peppers instead.
- You can use just about any greens in place of the spinach.
- The low-cal tortilla for the crust can be found near the deli section at your grocery store. If you can’t find the right tortilla, try a low-cal pita instead.
- This recipe makes one serving, but why not make multiple pizzas and have a pizza night for dinner this week? They’re quick, easy, and nutritious!
- USE FRESH HERBS. They add so much amazing flavor and truly make this pizza tastes like it’s fresh from the pizzeria.
Light Double Cheese White Spinach Pizza
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 whole-wheat tortilla for 70 calories or less, like Joseph’s
- 1/4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 light mozzarella cheese stick, like Sargento
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 3 slices of a big, ripe tomato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place the tortilla on the baking sheet and blind bake for 3 minutes. Remove from oven, but keep oven on.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta with the garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Spread the ricotta onto the tortilla in an even layer. Tear the cheese stick into strings and roughly chop. Sprinkle over the ricotta mixture. Top with the spinach and tomatoes. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Slice and enjoy.
Craving more healthy pizza? Check this out: