Oh, cast-iron skillet, shall I count the ways in which I adore thee?
I don’t know why, but everything is better when cooked in a skillet. It’s just so fun, and convenient for that matter. You essentially make a whole meal with one pan. And the possibilities are limited only by your hungry imagination. So far, I’ve made everything from 4-Cheese Skillet Rigatoni to Skillet Eggs with Squash & Sweet Potatoes.
Now, here is a recipe that combines my love for all-things skillet with the finger food fun of monkey bread. Who doesn’t love monkey bread? It comes in all kinds of flavors, and you get to tear it apart and eat it with your fingers. It brings out the kid in everyone. I’m not sure exactly why it’s called “monkey bread,” except perhaps because it turns you into a primal animal who feverishly stuffs their face with their bare hands.
This dish takes delicious pizza monkey bread, which would be awesome enough on its own, and cooks it in a skillet so it’s that much more fun to eat. The presentation is quite impressive. Think of it as a grown-up version of classic monkey bread.
Although this is a slap-your-mama simple recipe that takes all of 5 minutes to through together & requires minimal ingredients, you’re going to be blown away by just how good it tastes. The little individual biscuits bake up fluffy and buttery, and you can tear them apart like little pillows of pizza goodness. Then they’re topped with sweet & zesty marinara sauce, fresh herbs, and gobs of ooey-gooey fresh mozzarella cheese. See, even though we used store-bought biscuit dough and sauce, we’re jazzing it up with good-quality, incomparable fresh mozzarella and herbs.
When your eager hand reaches for that first piece of Skillet Pizza Monkey Bread, your fingers will be alive with anticipation. Then, as you pull away the first little sauce-drenched, cheese-covered biscuit, the cheese will stretch and so will your smile. The first bite, and all the bites after for that matter, is pure pizza perfection. Easy, cheesy, and downright addicting.
I’m not even going to tell you how many pieces I ate.
A Few tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Please do not sub shredded mozzarella for the fresh mozzarella. It is not the same, and it will not taste half as good.
- Assemble this ahead of time then bake when you’re ready.
- Kids will go crazy for this dish!
- It’s also great for parties or perhaps a movie night.
- I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it until the day I die: use fresh herbs. That dried stuff tastes like feet in comparison.
- Don’t have a cast-iron skillet? Make this in a round baking dish instead!
Skillet Pizza Monkey Bread
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 4 tbsp. butter (1/2 a stick), softened
- 3 cans of refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough (I used storebrand, but Pillsbury is fine too)
- 1 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tsp. fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a cast-iron skillet or 8-inch round baking dish with the 4 tbsp. of butter. Roll the individual biscuits into balls and place them into the pan, directly next to one another.
- Bake the plain biscuits for 5-10 minutes or until they are set but not yet browned. Pour the marinara sauce over the biscuits and spread out evenly. Top with slices of the mozzarella until biscuits are covered. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted, sauce is bubbly, and the center-most biscuit is completely set & no longer doughy (you can check this by sticking a knife through it). If cheese starts to brown faster than the biscuits are cooking, cover with aluminum foil until finished.
- Sprinkle the fresh basil over the skillet. Serve immediately & enjoy!