Summer seems to go on forever in the best way possible, up until Fall appears once more and we realize how quickly the season of sun truly sped by. But those long summer days can start to melt into one another, becoming monotonous and dull. I say we shake it up. Let’s make this the summer of color and zest. We’ll start with these Rainbow Roasted Veggies.
If ever there was a dish that said “summer,” this is it. It is colorful, exciting, and bursting with fresh flavors. Oven-roasting brings out the best in this colorful array of veggies, extracting that wonderful flavor just waiting to break out. Butternut squash, zucchini, onion, red peppers, and broccoli are all attending this summer party, and they’ve each got something delicious to offer. Together, they create a colorful spectrum of oven-roasted deliciousness. Season it up good with salt and pepper, then add some red pepper flakes to bring the summer heat. Finish it with a sprinkle of grated parm if you like.
This is summer perfection. It’s got flavor as big as the sun, and it’s so simple!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Use whatever veggies you like, but I found this to be a winning combo.
- Use fresh veggies; it really makes a difference as far as taste & texture goes.
- Chopping is annoying. Get it done beforehand so all you have to do later is pop the veggies in the oven.
- Don’t like spiciness? Omit the red pepper flakes.
Rainbow Roasted Veggies
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- optional: 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl filled with 1/4 cup water, cook the butternut squash on high for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine all the veggies in a large mixing bowl, reserving the roasted red peppers, onion, and garlic. Mix in the olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until evenly coated. Pour the veggies out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or until just about done, then add the red peppers, onion, and garlic and roast for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and fork tender. Top with parmesan cheese & enjoy.