This is a vegetarian taco bowl. Why did I not mention that in the title? Because I know half of you will run away in fear at the mention of anything vegetarian. But I need you to trust me. I’ve never led you astray before. I give you my word that you will never be able to tell these bowls are vegetarian. And why is that? Because they’re packed with not one, but two kinds of protein!
First, we’ve got hearty, tender beans, an obvious component when we’re talking mexican food. Then, we amp up the protein with a chopped-up black bean veggie burger. These burgers are made by Morningstar Farms, and I adore them. They’re so delicious, you’d never know they came out of the freezer. And when the zesty black bean burger comes together with the beans, you get one hearty and filling bowl that could trick even the biggest carnivore into thinking there’s meat in it.
Now, we’ve still got to bring more to this fiesta; it is a loaded taco bowl after all. So, I added kickin’ taco seasoning and some melty cheddar cheese. Then, I bring in my secret weapon: salsa. This really kicks it up a notch. Plus, when combined with the cheddar cheese, it’s almost like queso. Finish this big bowl of taco goodness off with fresh, crisp lettuce and tasty little black olives. The whole heaping bowl is less than 300 calories, but you’d never know it. It’s just too filling and too delicious!
This is lick-the-bowl good. Don’t try to fight it; just let the flavor fiesta happen.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Use whatever kind of beans you prefer.
- Don’t like salsa? Use fresh chunks of tomato instead.
- Don’t let the single-serving recipe stop you from making this meal for your family. Just double, triple, etc. according to how many mouths you’re feeling. It’s a great weeknight family meal because it’s quick, delicious, and nutritious!
Loaded Vegetarian Taco Bowl
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 Morningstar Farms Black Bean Veggie Burger
- 1/2 cup kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 2 tbsp. fat-free cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
- 2 tbsp. sliced black olives, drained
- Place the veggie burger on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 30 seconds then flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Spray a small pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat. Cook the veggie burger until golden brown then flip and cook the other side until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and cut into chunks.
- Meanwhile, pour the beans into another small pan over medium heat .Add the taco seasoning and the water. Stir to combine. Cook until hot and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. If sauce gets too thick, add more water. Once beans are hot, turn off the heat. Add the salsa and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour the beans into a bowl. Add the burger chunks and stir. Top with lettuce and olives. Enjoy!