Let’s talk about cheese.
Melty, ooey-gooey cheese atop a crisp crust, paired with zesty marinara sauce, and crowned with fresh slices of zucchini.
Are you hungry yet?
These individual Double Cheese Zucchini Pizzas are going to change your life, no exaggeration. They are so good; I’m talking scarf-the-whole-thing-down-in-60-seconds good. But you know what?
They’re guilt-free. I’m talking low-calorie, low-fat, and packed with nutrients. Let me pause for a moment while we praise the pizza gods…
Since I’m so utterly obsessed with pizza, I am constantly trying new ways to get my pizza fix while still eating healthy. I’ve made everything from Light English Muffin Pizzas (AWESOME) to Pizza Burger Pitas (also delicious). It’s all been incredible, perfect for silencing the pesky voice pleading for pizza in my head. However, this zucchini pizza is the best guilt-free pizza recipe I’ve ever tried. Why? Because it tastes exactly like full-calorie, full-fat pizza!
I can’t even get over how delicious it is. If you buy a light frozen pizza from the grocery store, it will have twice the calories and fat that mine has, and yet it won’t taste half as good. Not to mention, it’ll be ridiculously overpriced. So why bother with that processed junk when you can have this incredibly nutritious, mouth-watering pizza instead?
If you like cheesy goodness, then you’ll love this. You get your thin, foldable crust, plus zesty sauce, tons of cheese, and fresh zucchini. What more could you want out of life?
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Don’t like zucchini? You can use just about any other veggie instead.
- There’s a ton of protein in these pizzas! They’re a great meat-free option.
- This is a great way to get kids to eat veggies.
Double Cheese Zucchini Pizzas
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Makes 4 pizzas
- 4 whole wheat 60-calorie pitas (like Joseph’s)
- 1/2-3/4 cup Light Basil Marinara Sauce (like Ragu)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 50-calorie light mozzarella cheese sticks (like Sargento)
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 24 thin slices of zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the pitas on top of the baking sheet in a single layer and cook for about 6 minutes, or until pitas are just starting to turn golden around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside; leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, tear the cheese sticks into strings. Roughly chop until they resemble the texture of shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of sauce onto each cooked pita, using more or less based on your sauce preference. Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Next, evenly sprinkle 1 stick’s worth of the chopped mozzarella and 2 tablespoons parmesan onto each pita. Top each with 8 zucchini slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake pizzas for 10-15 minutes, or until pitas are golden brown and cheese is melted. Slice it up and enjoy.