Pizza is my lifeline.
I need it; I crave it. I inhale that sliced stuff at least once a week. I don’t know what is about pizza, but it calls to me. Pizza, I love you.
…Except for when pizza “calls to me” on days when I’m eating healthy. Then we’re not friends, Pizza. You see, Friday nights are typically reserved for pizza in the Smart Cookie household. So when it’s only Tuesday, and the thought of pizza starts wafting through my impressionable brain, I lose my cookies.
One of my favorite ways to show those cravings who’s boss is with my Light English Muffin Pizzas for under 200 calories. SO GOOD. However, I often forget to buy English muffins at the grocery store, and then I’m up the creek without a paddle.
Luckily, I stumbled upon a new, possibly even more delicious way to satisfy those nasty pre-pizza night cravings: The Pizza Burger Pita. I must credit this brilliant meal to my mother, who dreamed it up. I guess I should pass a little credit to my sister as well, since it was seeing her actually make my mother’s creation that prompted me to try one as well. Thank who you want to thank for this Pizza Burger Pita. All I know is, it’s delicious.
So here’s the pizzalicious cast of characters: melted mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, a whole wheat pita, and a Morningstar Farms Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger. We’ve got to talk about these burgers. You buy ‘em in the freezer section, but once you taste one, you’ll hardly believe that. They are way too delicious to come out of a freezer. What’s really freaky is how much they actually taste like pizza. If it weren’t for the fact that they’re veggie burgers, I would’ve never believed there wasn’t pepperoni or Italian sausage stuffed in there. At 120 calories a burger, they’re almost too good to be true. I don’t know how Morningstar Farms does it, but these burgers are good.
When you take something that’s already filled with pizza potential, like those burgers, then further amplify that, you get a crazy awesome pizza party in your mouth. There’s melty cheese, hot and zesty sauce, a nice soft pita to act as a crust, then that meaty, protein-packed pizza burger. De-flipping-licious.
Oh, and one more thing: It’s under 250 calories.
I don’t know what you’re waiting for. Go make one!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- You can use parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella if you like.
- Fresh basil would really take this over the top.
- This is great for lunch or dinner.
- It’s also an awesome weeknight meal for your whole family. It’s nutritious, low-cal, and packed with protein.
- The pitas I use can be found near the deli or in the bakery section of the grocery store.
Pizza Burger Pita
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 Morningstar Farms Tomato & Basil Pizza Burger
- 1 60-calorie whole-wheat pita (like the kind by Joseph’s)
- 2 tbsp. Light Basil Marinara Sauce (like Ragu)
- 1 stick light mozzarella string cheese for 50 calories (like Sargento)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Place the veggie burger on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Flip and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Bring a small skillet to medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the burger in the skillet until each side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, pull the cheese into separate strings then roughly chop until it is the size of shredded cheese. Place the pita on a microwave-safe plate. Spread the marinara sauce on top of the pita then evenly sprinkle with the cheese. Microwave on high until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Once the cheese is melted and the burger is browned on both sides, remove the burger from the heat and cut in half. Lay the two halves side by side on top of the pita, letting them overlap. Fold up the pita like a taco and enjoy!