Sometimes, fierce pizza cravings consume me with the force of one-thousand ruthless armies. When this happens I have two options: eat pizza or suffer through slow, painful, all-consuming withdrawal (the brunt of which is inflicted upon my mother as she receives my endless whining about how bad I want pizza). Now, I typically set aside one night a week for pizza (Pizza Friday, to be exact), but sometimes, I get struck with a craving mid-week on a day when I’m trying to eat healthy. Then what is there to do?
On one of those treacherous days, I found myself staring into the depths of my fridge, pondering what on Earth I could have for dinner besides pizza that was healthy and also somehow equivalent to the deliciousness of pizza. I was just about ready to wave my white flag, when at last I spotted a package of Multigrain English Muffins. Almost instinctively, my eyes then traveled to the jar of light marinara sauce.
In that moment, this recipe hit me like a ton of bricks.
I whipped up a hot and cheesy English Muffin Pizza for 195 calories, and quite frankly, I stuffed my face. It was the perfect weapon to combat my pizza craving while simultaneously eating healthy. This cute little pizza is low in calories, low in fat, and high in protein. But let’s remember what’s really important: it is completely delectable.
I guarantee if you feed one of these saucy, cheesy English muffins to someone without telling them it’s light, they would never know. It’s got tons of cheese, Mozzarella and Parmesan to be exact. Yes, that’s right. This is a double cheese English Muffin Pizza, and it’s under 200 calories. I swear you’re not dreaming.
I make these babies extra garlicky (because who doesn’t love garlic?), add a generous amount of sauce, and even a little bit of fresh oregano. It tastes so indulgent, so full of pizza power, that it will satisfy even the beastliest of pizza cravings.
Show your cravings whose boss and make one of these delicious, cheesy, easy English Muffin Pizzas tonight. Yum!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- This is a great meal to make for kids. Kids love English muffin pizzas!
- I’ve tried this with both grated and shredded Parm, and I’ve found that the shredded has more tangy impact.
- Veggies are a great topping to bulk these up without adding a lot of calories.
- Check your nutrition info. and make sure you get the 100-calorie muffins. Other varieties can be as much as 140 calories.
Light English Muffin Pizza
The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 Multigrain 100-Calorie English Muffin
- 1/4 cup Light Basil Marinara Sauce (like Ragu)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 stick light mozzarella string cheese for 50 calories (like Sargento)
- 1 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh finely chopped oregano
- Separate the muffin into two halves. Line a small baking sheet (small enough to fit in your toaster) with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the muffin on the tray and toast until crisp, but not yet golden (use the “light” setting on your toaster).
- Divide the sauce between the two halves of the muffin and spread out evenly. You may use less depending on your tastes. Sprinkle each half with the garlic powder.
- Tear the Mozzarella cheese into strings then roughly chop until it reaches a shredded cheese consistency. Divide between the two halves of the muffin. Sprinkle the Parmesan over each half of the muffin. Top with fresh oregano.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and the muffin edges turn golden. Remove from toaster and enjoy!