When I think of childhood American eats, I think of PB & J, Spaghetti-O’s, sugary cereals, and grilled cheese. Although I adore all of these treats, grilled cheese is the one that takes the special spot in my adult heart. You see, all of those other foods, delicious as they may be, are specifically classified as “kid food.” Grilled cheese, however, is not limited to any one age group (although it is a go-to kid lunch). You can enjoy grilled cheese until you’re 97 if you want (as long as you have dentures to chew it with), and no one will judge you.
If you know anything about your Smart Cookie Cook, then you know I love me some starch. Give me a hunk of good bread and I will go to town. Of course, I take pleasure in
some mounds of melted cheese too. Therefore, the grilled cheese, which combines these two beautiful foods, is basically the holy grail of comfort food in my eyes. I know I’m not alone in this opinion. No matter how old we get, our love for ooey, gooey cheese inside of warm, golden bread never weakens.
Now, I know grilled cheese is wonderful enough in its most basic form, but I would like to introduce you to a whimsical new way to enjoy this gooey classic: Grilled Cheese Roll-Up Dippers. We’re taking tasty grilled cheese and turning it into fun, dippable* roll-ups!
Two kinds of cheese come oozing out of these golden brown babies. It’s melty, cheesy goodness. Take the dippers for a dunk in tomato soup for the perfect finishing touch. These guys are made to be dipped.
You can guess that kids will go nuts for these delicious dippers. Kids love fun finger food (especially when grilled cheese is involved). But let’s not pretend that your adult-self isn’t all over this. I take no shame in announcing my adoration for these rolly-polly grilled cheeses. Double cheese, buttery goodness rolled up and served with soup? It’s just so…fun!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Feel free to switch out the cheeses I use for whatever you like best. However, sliced cheese makes for much easier rolling.
- These are great for a kid’s party! They’re quick and easy, so you can turn out tons at a time.
- Don’t like tomato soup? Dip these in marinara sauce instead.
- Sliced ham would be a great addition for meat-eaters.
Grilled Cheese Roll-Up Dippers
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield: 8 dippers
- 8 slices soft bread (I used whole wheat)
- 12 slices American cheese
- 8 slices Sharp Cheddar cheese or 2 cups shredded
- About 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons; 1/2 a cup)
- Tomato soup, for dipping (recommended: Creamy Tomato Soup)
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each slice of bread until as flat and thin as possible. You may cut off your crusts before doing so if you wish, but I left mine on.
- Place a slice of American on each bread “wrap.” Then lay half of another slice horizontally below it (pictured below). Add another slice and a half of the cheddar or sprinkle each wrap with 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Take the end of a slice of bread and tightly roll it, making sure the cheese stays inside the roll. Place a toothpick through the center to hold it together. Repeat with remaining wraps.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Melt one tablespoon of butter in the skillet and place 2 wraps down in the butter (or more, depending on how many you’re comfortable with cooking at once). While cooking, spread some more butter on the top of the wrap. Cook until the bottom is brown then remove the toothpick and gently flip, making sure to keep the roll intact. Cook until both sides are brown and cheese is melted. Transfer to a plate with a spatula. Add more butter to pan in between batches.If you wish to keep finished wraps warm while you finish cooking the others, then place them on a tray lined with aluminum foil and stick them in an oven heated to 200 degrees.
- Serve with tomato soup and get dipping!
*Dippable – (adj) Ideal for dipping.