I know; I’ve been going kale crazy lately. But can you blame me? It’s so good!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: kale is the king of greens. It is chock full of nutrients and plain old delicious. It’s the tastiest of all greens in my humble opinion. With all that good stuff in such a natural, untouched form, kale is truly a bundle of benefits given as a gracious gift from Nature itself. In today’s day and age (especially as Americans), we’ve been trained to love foods that are processed, chemically enhanced, and filled with preservatives. Because of this, foods like kale can be confounding. Kale is untouched, a product of Mother Nature only. And yet, it is so delicious and nutritious.
Okay, so nature is pretty awesome sometimes.
Now, there is but one flaw when it comes to kale: it doesn’t have a significant amount of protein. So how do you balance out the meal? With beans, of course!
I love me some beans. Protein-packed, hearty, and plain old delicious, beans are a super food (much like kale). Therefore, they’re the perfect addition to a kale dish. Put beans and kale together, and what to you get? Sauteed Cannellini Beans and Kale.
This dish hits all the right marks:
Flavorful? Double check!
Talk about well-rounded!
Fresh kale and tender, creamy cannellini beans get sauteed with veggie stock, garlic, onions, and of course some spicy red pepper flakes to create a sizzling dish with a myriad of textures and flavors. The whole thing is topped off with reduced-fat mozzarella cheese for that little touch of indulgence that even a nutritious meal needs.
The best part is that this delicious meal is crazy low-cal, so you can stuff your face without having to stuff your bulging belly into jeans that no longer fit tomorrow morning. That’s the best kind of meal!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Not a fan of cannellini beans? Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) would be a delicious substitute.
- Craving meat? Add some strips of white meat chicken to the mix.
- This meal is super fast, perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- This would be delicious with some whole wheat pasta!
Sauteed Cannellini Beans and Kale
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 generous cups roughly chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 reduced-fat or light mozzarella string cheese stick (like Sargento)
- Bring a medium skillet filled with 1/4 cup of veggie stock to medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Saute until aromatic and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the kale and cover. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until kale begins to wilt.
- Meanwhile, pull the cheese stick into strings then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Once the kale begins to wilt, add the beans, salt, and red pepper flakes and stir. Add up to another 1/4 cup of veggie stock if the kale is too dry for your like. Continue to cook uncovered until beans are hot.
- Turn off the heat, but keep the pan over the burner. Immediately sprinkle the cheese over the top then cover until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Grab yourself a bowl and enjoy!