I apologize in advance for the epic amounts of girlishness crammed into these cookies. It just sort of happened.
I’m not five-years-old, I SWEAR.
I am, however, a kid at heart. As I explained to you while discussing my latest Wegmans finds, I am, and will forever be, a Disney girl. When I saw that Pillsbury had dished out Princess Valentine Shape Sugar Cookies in honor of good old February 14th, I just about lost my marbles. Disney Princess cookies? Is this a childhood dream come true?
On their own, these pre-made cookies are cute and girly enough. I mean, they’re pink with a little purple high heel printed on the center. Plus, the white heart surrounding the shoe makes them quite Valentine’s Day appropriate. I, however, cannot bake pre-made cookie dough with good conscience unless I jazz it up a little.
Naturally, I whipped up a creamy Strawberry Buttercream to sandwich inside the bite-sized princess cookies. This frosting is absolutely heavenly. Luscious, creamy, and kissed with real strawberry flavor from fresh strawberries, it is one smooth and sweet spread. Its pink color is entirely fitting for V-Day, making them all the more pink and pretty. It’s the perfect binder for these little sugar cookie sammies.* When your teeth sink through the soft cookie and into the creamy, dreamy frosting, you will know what it feels like to be in love.
Who knew such an easy to make treat could be so cute and delicious?
These Princess Valentine Cookie Sammies are just about as festive as it gets when it comes to V-Day. From the pink and purple cookies to the pink strawberry buttercream and whimsical sprinkles that cling to it, these sammies scream “true love.” They are a perfect treat for making with your little girls, bringing to a Valentine’s Day party, or indulging your inner kid with. Just because you’re grown up doesn’t mean you can’t feel like a princess!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Strawberry frosting not your thing? Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream with a touch of red food dye will have the same pretty pink effect and taste just as delicious!
- If you aren’t a Disney Princess kind of person or perhaps you can’t find the Princess Cookies, Pillsbury has other Valentine’s Day-themed sugar cookie shapes available at your local grocery store. They make Mickey Mouse ones if you’re making these sandwiches for boys, and they also have non-Disney related heart-shaped cookies. You could also use chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
- Festive V-Day sprinkles can be found at your local grocery store, craft stores, and Target.
- These would be the perfect treat for a classroom party!
- The frosting recipe below is cut in half because I had a TON leftover. You can double it to have the full recipe, which is enough for icing 24 cupcakes or a standard round cake. You can also make the full-sized batch and freeze the rest until you’re ready to use it. Just allow it to thaw and come to room temperature.
- You can use frozen strawberries instead of fresh, but obviously, fresh will provide you with better flavor.
Princess Valentine Cookie Sammies w/ Strawberry Buttercream Filling
By The Smart Cookie Cook
Yield: 12 cookies sandwiches
- 1 package Pillsbury Princess Valentine Shape Sugar Cookies (24 cookies)
- Festive sprinkles, for decorating
For the Strawberry Buttercream Filling:
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1/4 cup whole fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 3/4-2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies according to package directions, but be careful. They go from done to burnt quick. They taste best when they are just beginning to turn golden, so you may want to bake them for less time than the package suggests.
- Cool cookies completely on wire racks.
- Make the buttercream filling:
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla, almond extract, food coloring, and strawberry puree; mix until just blended. Add more sugar as necessary to make it thicker. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream. (You want a stiffer frosting or it will gush out of the sides when you bite into the sandwiches).
- Spread a generous amount of frosting onto the flat bottom of a cookie (about 2 teaspoons). It should be a fairly thick layer with the frosting almost reaching the edges. Gently sandwich another cookie on top with the bottom facing the inside of the sandwich. Sprinkle the sprinkles around the outside of the cookie sandwich, allowing it to stick on to the frosting. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
*Sammies – (n) Plural form of “sammy,” an abbreviation for “sandwich.”
In need of more treats to make you fall in love on Valentine’s Day? Then click here. Smart Cookie has got you covered!