Have you ever been in a healthy food slump? Sometimes, when you make the effort to eat better, you get into a bad habit of eating the same things over and over again. This is a slippery slope, my little cookies, because you eventually become sick of what you’re eating and revert to bad eating habits. When I start to find myself growing tired of the same ol’ same ol’, I know it’s time to branch out. Rather than seeking out delicious but not so nutritious eats, I start searching for new healthy recipes to incorporate into my meals.
Egg beaters are a big part of my diet, especially as a vegetarian. They’re packed with protein, relatively low-calorie, and so good for you. However, if all I do is scramble them with some salt and pepper, it’s easy to get really sick of them really fast. The key is to mix it up, and that is where this Spinach, Feta, & Tomato Egg Wrap comes in.
This beauty is a whole new way to enjoy eggs. It’s flavorful, filling, and completely guilt-free. We’re talking low-fat, low-calorie, and stuffed with all kinds of good stuff. The eggs and the wrap give you protein, while the spinach and tomatoes are your veggies of choice. Salty, tangy Feta provides cheesy indulgence, and fresh basil delivers great flavor. This wrap does not by any means taste healthy. You won’t be thinking about eating something nutritious while you’re enjoying it; all you’ll be able to focus on is how good it tastes.
Whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this wrap is rockin‘ at any time of day. It’s got melty cheese, fresh veggies, delicious flavors, and tender eggs all bundled up into a handheld pocket of goodness. If a completely delicious meal for only 170 calories sounds good to you, then get off your butt and get wrapping!
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- If you’re anything like me, you may be wondering what to do with the rest of that can of diced tomatoes since you only use a tablespoon. Here’s some ideas: toss it with pasta, garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese for an easy dinner, add it to a salad, or serve it on top of chicken or fish. Next week, I’ll have another delicious recipe that utilizes these leftover tomatoes too!
- Longing for more healthy and delicious eats? Then head over to Healthy Cookie to see what’s cooking!
- I hate sun-dried tomatoes, so I skipped those. Whether or not you add them is up to you.
- You can find the tortillas for these wraps in the bakery or deli section of the grocery store.
Spinach, Feta, & Tomato Egg Wrap
Recipe adapted from Hungry Girl
One wrap (whole recipe): 168 calories, 5.5g fat, 694mg sodium, 24g carbs, 15g fiber, 2g sugars, 20g protein — PointsPlus™ value 5*
- 1 La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortilla, Large (sometimes labeled Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber)
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Athenos Reduced Fat Natural Feta Cheese, Crumbled with Basil & Tomato (or plain Reduced Fat Crumbled)
- 1 tbsp. Hunt’s Tomatoes, Fire Roasted Diced with Garlic
- dash salt
- dash red pepper flakes
- optional: 2 pieces sun-dried tomato in oil & spices, chopped
- Spray a small pan with nonstick spray, and bring to medium heat. Add egg substitute, and cook to form an egg patty (flipping and folding until firm). Remove egg patty and set aside.
- Remove the pan from heat, re-spray, and then return to medium heat. Add chopped spinach, garlic, and both types of tomatoes. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 1 minute (until spinach has wilted). Add the cheese, salt, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for an additional 30 seconds (cheese should be melt-y). Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- Place veggie/cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla. Place egg patty on top, and wrap the tortilla up envelope style (folding the sides in first, and then rolling it up from the bottom). Place wrap in the toaster oven (with the seam-side down) and bake for 4-5 minutes (until thoroughly heated).
That’s a wrap!