Today, I had a revelation:
Soup is so much better in a bread bowl.
Now, let’s not get it twisted. This Cheesy Potato Soup is my favorite soup ever, and it’s incredible with or without the bread bowl. It is smooth, creamy, and oh so cheesy. You see, it’s not your typical potato soup. Most utilize cheddar cheese, which is a fine option, don’t get me wrong. However, my soup uses a combination of American & Sharp Cheddar. This is the key, my little cookies. That American cheese gives this an incredible cheesy flavor and creamy, smooth texture like nothing you’ve had in soup before. Plus, that little bit of cheddar gives you just the right amount of tang. Toss in some tender, buttery chunks of Yukon gold potatoes and a handful of scallions for a burst of flavor, and you’ve got the PERFECT potato soup. It’s one of those meals where you’ll go to test a spoonful and you’ll just smile and say, “That’s GOOD.”
In fact, I didn’t think this soup could be any better until I served it up in a cute little bread bowl. Their perfect personal size is ideal, and everybody gets their own. You can dip the carved out chunks or chisel at the sides of the bowl as you go. It’s such a fun way to eat soup! What’s better than being able to eat your soup AND the bowl it’s served in?
When it comes to comfort food, it doesn’t get much better than this. Hearty, cheesy potato soup and good bread to go with. Now that’s a meal.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- I highly recommend using the American Cheese from your local deli. It is better quality than the stuff from Kraft or Velveeta, and so much tastier. Once you try it, you’ll never go back!
- It doesn’t matter if you use white or yellow American; totally up to you!
- Don’t skip the scallions. They add great flavor.
- If possible, buy the bread loaves the day you’re making the soup. The fresher, the better.
- Sourdough is ideal for this. It’s flavor works perfectly. Plus, you MUST use a bread with a substantial crust. Soft, fluffy bread will not hold the soup well.
- If you can’t find mini bread loaves in your local grocery store, you can get them at Panera Bread. That’s where I bought mine! They’re perfectly sized since they use them for bread bowls too.
- If you really just want soup, there’s no reason you can’t make this soup without the bread bowl. It’s incredible soup. You really don’t even need anything else (but bread bowls are so fun!).
- Baking the potatoes is the most time-consuming step in this recipe. You could easily do it ahead of time to get it out of the way.
- Get out all your ingredients and do the prep work (like chopping & such) beforehand so that you’re not trying to multitask while cooking the actual soup.
Cheesy Potato Soup in a Bread Bowl
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 10 tbsp. butter (1 stick + 1/4)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 1/2 cups milk
- 10 slices American cheese, broken into pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 mini bread loaves, preferably sourdough
- optional: 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, for garnish
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Scoop out potatoes from skin so that they are a pulp-like consistency. (They should be like chunks, not mashed!)
- Meanwhile, make the bread bowls. Carve out a circle from the center of each loaf, angling the knife so that you produce a cone shape. Carefully remove top from bread. Carve out additional room in the center of the loaf, if desired.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add 6 cups milk, reserving the last 1/2 cup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for another minute. Whisk in cheeses and remaining milk, a little at a time. Remove from heat and stir in potatoes.
- Ladle soup into each bread bowl. Garnish with scallions, bacon, and additional cheddar cheese. Serve with bread toppers.
Need more soup?
Try my hearty Broccoli-Cheddar Soup, made w/ fresh broccoli and bulked up with Sweet & Russet Potatoes!