Have you seen these things? They’re called CocoPops and they’re some of the coolest snacks I’ve seen in a while. I have become obsessed. The name is a bit misleading; there’s no chocolate or cocoa or coconut involved, so I’m not sure where that came from. CocoPop is actually a light crispy, crunchy snack, sort of like a rice cake but thinner, lighter, and with a larger radius. Basically, CocoPop is a lot better. It’s made from all natural ingredients: wheat, rice, corn, and sea salt. I love when I can read an ingredient list and easily recognize every item on it. There’s nothing weird or chemical-sounding.
If you’ve never checked these out, you can find them at Wegman’s. CocoPop’s website says they’re available in several stores nationwide, but so far, I’ve only seen them at Wegman’s. What’s awesome is that you get to watch them being made fresh in the store! They come flying out of this CocoPop maker and you here a startling WHACK when they hit the glass surrounding the machine. Then, the CocoPop Popper Person bags ‘em up and they sell them to you fresh! It’s quite an experience.
Now, what I really love about these guys is that they’re twice the size of a rice cake for half the calories. For one CocoPop, you’re looking at 16 itty bitty calories and 0 grams of fat. That means they’re the perfect guilt-free vessel for any toppings of your choice. Their mild flavor makes ‘em crazy versatile. Some of my favorite variations are Nutella or Peanut Butter and Fluff, but it goes way beyond that.
There are hundreds of ways to dress up your CocoPop. Here’s just the beginning of CocoPossiblities:
- Almond butter
- Plain ol’ peanut butter
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate: Spread w/ peanut butter then sprinkle w/ semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
- Apples & Peanut Butter: Spread w/ peanut butter then lay thin slices of apple on top.
- Gourment Popcorn: Spritz ‘em with sprayable butter then sprinkle with grated parmesan and garlic powder.
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries: Spread w/ Nutella then top with sliced strawberries
- Chocolate Indulgence: Spread with your favorite chocolate ganache recipe
- Fruit Smoothie: Top w/ yogurt and sliced fruit of your choice
- Strawberry/Banana Cream Pie: Top w/ whipped cream and sliced strawberries/bananas
- Veggie Delight: Spread with cream cheese and top with shredded carrots and finely chopped broccoli
- Almond Joy: Drizzle with melted chocolate then sprinkle with toasted coconut & sliced almonds
- Ice Cream Sundae: Spread softened ice cream on top then add whipped cream and any other topping of your choice.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Spritz with sprayable butter then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- S’mores: Spread w/ Fluff marshmallow topping then sprinkle with milk chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs
- Pudding Pie: Spread Jell-O pudding on top and finish with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Grilled Cheese: Sprinkle with cheddar cheese then toast in the oven until cheese it melted and CocoPop is crisp.
The list goes on and on. Get creative! Let me know your variations