Remember those over-the-top awesome Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from yesterday’s post?
(You’re like: “Are you insane? How could I forget?“)
Well, the question was more rhetorical. Anyway, I’m going to show you how to take those cookies and turn them into a sweet frozen treat: Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Now, I’m sure you’ve had an ice cream sandwich or two (or a hundred) in your lifetime, back in the good ‘ol days where you would go nuts every time the ice cream truck came chugging down the road. The second his jocular jingle hit your ears, you’d beeline for your mother (or more specifically, your mother’s wallet) and beg her for some ice cream.
Ice cream sandwiches are a classic character in Mr. Ice Cream Man’s frozen confection collection. That’s why they remind me of childhood more than anything. There are two major types of ice cream sandwiches in this world: the kind with the soft brown, bar-shaped cookies and the round ones made with chocolate chip cookies. Although they’re both tasty, there’s something really special about smooth creamy ice cream sandwiched between two real chocolate chip cookies. It’s two desserts in one.
Let’s make something clear right now: these sandwiches I’m about to show you are 100 times better than any ice cream sandwich you’ve ever purchased. Nine times out of ten, homemade kicks store-bought’s butt. What makes these treats so special is that you start with a sublime cookie-base. It’s thick and sturdy, perfect for holding up to the melty ice cream. You will never find a cookie this delicious in your grocery store. Have you ever compared a fresh-baked cookie to a Chips Ahoy cookie? Enough said.
There’s one more reason these sammies take the cake: you get to pick your ice cream. No boring vanilla for you…unless vanilla’s your thing, which is totally respectable. Vanilla is classic, nothing wrong with that.
Like I said, it’s up to you.
My choice? Mint Brownie Ice Cream.
You might think mint & chocolate chip cookie to be a strange pairing, but it’s not. Think about it: All that chocolate stuffed into the cookies melts perfectly together with the sweet mint flavor of the ice cream. It’s definitely a combo worth trying.
Some other suggestions:
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream (chocolate + peanut butter= yes)
- Raspberry Ice Cream (the chocolate in the cookies will mix beautifully with the raspberry)
- Cookies & Cream Ice Cream (two kinds of cookie in one dessert!)
Remember, you’re not limited to any of these delicious recommendations. The cookie’s on your plate.
Ice Creamie Cookie Sammies
Recipe by Colleen Bierstine
(Makes 4 cookie sammies)
- 8 Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe here)
- Ice cream of your choice
- Ice cream scooper
- Aluminum foil
1) Remove ice cream from freezer. Allow to sit for ten minutes, or until slightly softened. You want the ice cream to be malleable but not melted.
2) Match up cookies by size so that each has a pair of similar radius. Unevenly matched cookies will make the sandwich unstable. You should have 4 cookie pairs.
3) Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out one well-rounded ball of ice cream. Turn a cookie upside down and place the ice cream on the bottom of the cookie. Take its pair and place it on top of the ice cream ball, making a sandwich.
With your hands flat on each cookie, gently press the cookies together, twisting them back and forth, until the ice cream is flattened out to the edge of the cookies. Don’t over-press it or you’ll make a mess!
4) Repeat with the 3 remaining cookie pairs. If you wish to make the sammies look prettier, gently glide a butter knife around the edge of the ice cream, smoothing it out.
5) Wrap the sammies in aluminum foil and store in the freezer for at least 30 minutes so that the ice cream can firm up again. These will last up to two weeks in the freezer. Eat when you’re ready & enjoy!
And so delicious! I bet you thought those Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies couldn’t get any better. I did too. We were naive, my fellow foodies. In this case, ignorance is not always bliss; Ice Creamie Cookie Sammies are!